The Harbor Police Patrol and
Rescue Boat Division was created in 1956. The patrol boat was created
to provide the following services:
The Departmentís police boat shall be
utilized and operated by the Departmentís Patrol Boat Division. The police
boat shall be utilized for emergency response and routine patrol in the
Mississippi river, the Inner-Harbor Navigation Canal, the Mississippi River
Gulf Outlet and Lake Ponchatrain. Only officers who have been properly
trained and shown proficiency in the operation of the police boat shall be
allowed to operate the vessel. The Commander of the Specialized Patrol
Division shall be responsible for ensuring that the proper maintenance and
upkeep is performed on the police vessel.
-Port of New Orleans Harbor Police Dept.
The patrol boat also performs, but is not limited to, the following
- Enforcing State, Local, and Dock Board laws within the jurisdiction of the
Harbor Police Dept.
- Providing escorts and security for designated vessels, docking in the Port
of New Orleans.
- Assisting U.S. Coast Guard and all other maritime related enforcement
agencies within the jurisdiction of the Harbor Police Dept.
- Rescue and Recovery efforts along the waterways of the Port of New Orleans.
- Maintain a record of marine traffic(docking vessels) along the Port of New